From Chef to Writer: Rewards and Challenges of Emma Galloway's journey
For our next Get Inspired interview we spoke with Emma Galloway, the blogger, Chef, mother and author behind My Darling Lemon Thyme and two books ‘Recipes from my real food kitchen’ & ‘ A year in my real food kitchen’. A New Zealand native, she spent 8 years as a chef in both Australia and New Zealand, only leaving when her children were born. Her blog and recipe books were created at the discovery of hers & her children’s food intolerances and passion to inspire & encourage others searching for healthy and delicious alternatives.
1. Tell us a little bit about yourself.
I'm a former chef turned cookbook author, stylist, photographer and mother of two. I write the blog mydarlinglemonthyme.com.
2. What motivated you to start "My Darling Lemon Thyme"?
When I first started my blog 7 years ago, my kids and I had been eating gluten-free as well as mostly dairy-free and refined sugar-free for a little over two years due to food intolerances. Even as a trained chef I had found the changes a struggle at times, so I started my site in a bid to help others navigate the somewhat scary path of allergy-free eating and to show people how delicious simple, made-from-scratch food can be.
3. Of all your career achievements to date, which are you most proud of?
Writing, styling and photographing my two cookbooks: “My Darling Lemon” and “A Year In My Real Food Kitchen”. Creating them was a dream come true.
4. Tell us more about your books and how did you decide to become a writer?
My books focus on simple, everyday food using real food ingredients. Each book contains 100 of my favourite recipes that I styled and shot in my home. My first cookbook covers a lot of the basics of eating gluten-free (and vegetarian), while my second book focuses on seasonal eating, buying/growing and preparing what is abundant at certain times of the year. As a chef I had always dreamed of writing a cookbook, but it wasn't until I'd been writing my blog for a number of years that I really felt I could achieve this lofty goal.
5. What challenges did you come across throughout your both blogging and writing careers and how did you manage to resolve them?
The main challenge I've faced over the years have been personal ones, dealing with my perfectionist self. My tendency to never be 100% happy with my work often leads to a lot of time wasting as I often re-do recipes and re-shoot photos numerous times. While I'm not sure this is something that will ever change, with time I am getting better at monitoring myself and simply trusting that what I produce is the best that it can be at any given time.
6. What motivates you to get out of bed in the morning?
Life and whatever the day might bring.
7. What are your tips for maintaining a good work-life balance?
I don't know that I'm really the right person to answer this question as most days I'm far from maintaining balance! But I do know that it's important to take a step back sometimes (especially from the online world), to re-group and realise what's really important in life. Being ok with letting yourself have a break is a work in progress for many of us.
8. What are your ways to relax and unwind?
I love going for walks, especially on the beach. I also love the ritual of making and drinking beautifully crafted herbal teas.
9. How would you describe your personal style?
Understated and earthy.
10. At Canningvale, home is a heart of everything that we do - a place of true comfort and relaxation. What does home mean to you?
Home is where I can chase and live out my dreams. It's where I can be me.
Quick fire questions:
Q: How would you describe yourself in one word?
Q: Bright or pastel?
Q: Beach or mountains?
Q: Cotton or silk?
Q: Fast or slow?
Join over 240,000 Subscribers. Receive huge exclusive discounts straight to your inbox.
- How To Buy The Best Towels: Expert Tips From Canningvale Quality Team
- Are You A Sweaty Sleeper And Here Are Our Best Sheets To keep You Cool All Night
- Take a Load Off With Canningvale’s tips on How To keep Your Towels Feeling Fresh
- 6 Tweaks To Get Your Outdoor Space Ready For The Cooler Months
- Common Mistakes Killing Your Indoor Plants