Get Inspired To Live Colourfully: An Interview With Kirra Bell
This week for our Get Inspired Series, we interviewed Kirra Bell, a Melbourne based interior and product stylist renown for her playful use of colour. Adopting a bright colour palette, her whimsical and eye-catching interior style has earned her a loyal following on Instagram and her blog. This Q&A reveals the latest interior design trends and provides inspiration for anyone aspiring to launch their career in interior design.
1. Tell us a bit about yourself and how you came to be an interior and product stylist.
I have always had a passion for interiors and design. After having my children I decided to leave my corporate role and revisit my passion for interiors. I initially started out with small business product styling and have since expanded to interior styling, home staging and blogging.
2. How would you describe your work and personal interior style?
My personal style is always evolving, but using colour seems to come naturally and has since become what I am known for. When working with a client's or following a brief I stick the client's overall brand look and what works best with the product.
3. Where do you seek inspiration for your work and who are your biggest influences?
I get my inspiration from so many different sources; flowers, seasons, cafe’s, art and interior magazines. I would say my biggest influencers in terms of design would be interior designer Julia Green; her eye for colour and composition is perfection. I’m also a big fan of interior and visual merchandiser Brooke Brassil.
4. What do you love most about your job?
I love the flexibility of being able to schedule my work around my children. I love that I am doing something I love and the possibilities it holds.
5. What are the latest interior design trends?
Blue, teal and velvets are very much in. And I am very happy to say that pink is here to stay. Lots of textures and layers ready for the cooler weather.
6. What’s the best advice you've ever received?
Keep your head down and don't worry what other people are doing. Be true to yourself and your style.
7. You recently styled our Sogno linen blend blanket in sandstone. Describe the look you were trying to create?
With this look, I really wanted to add lots of layers in different textures to create a Luxe Look. I added pops of velvet and teal and balanced that out with the gorgeous Canningvale Blanket in Sandstone to create contrast.
- Entrepreneurship, Style Inspiration & Advice: An Interview With Jessica Ormsby
- 8 Ways To Create A Spa Inspired Bathroom: Guest Post By Rachel Walton
- Get Inspired To Live Colourfully: An Interview With Kirra Bell
- Decor for Dummies: Understanding Warm & Cool Shades
- Interior Design Trends, Style Inspiration & Practical Advice: An Interview With Christiana Szczerba