Get confused when reading about the different types of cotton? 🧶
Bless your cotton socks 🧦
To help you out, we’ve unspooled the facts 🧵
Does thread count count?
Thread count (TC) is the number of threads per 10 square cm of fabric.
But the most important thing to consider is what type of cotton is right for you 🧷
High vs low TC
What is GSM?
What are the different types of cotton?
- Zero-twist cotton is exactly what it sounds like – there are zero twists. Instead of the fibres being twisted, they’re looped. This is achieved by sourcing longer, stronger, and more premium cotton fibres.
- The benefits? Your towels will be much smoother against your skin, and amazingly absorbent.
- A match for: sensitive skin types.
- Try our Amalfitana Collection
Standard twist vs zero twist
- Organic cotton loves the planet as much as you love your home. It’s grown without the use of toxic pesticides and is all about minimising harm to the environment.
- The benefits? You’ll sleep better at night knowing that what you’re putting against your skin hasn’t cost the earth 🌏
- A match for: The eco-warrior and those with individual taste.
- Try our Sofi Organic Cotton Bedding and Sofi Organic Towels
- The king – and queen – of cottons.
- The river Nile sustains the incredible fertile soil surrounding it, which means that the cotton grown in this region has extra-long fibres.
- They’re also hand-picked. This is a gentler gathering process and keeps the fibres in their best condition.
- The benefits? See extra-long staple cotton below to find out more.
- A match for: those who love to be spoiled like a royal.
- Try our Egyptian Royale Bedding and Egyptian Royale Towels
Short staple cotton vs extra-long cotton
Extra-long staple cotton
- The longer the cotton fibre, the stronger and more durable the fabric will be.
- The benefits? Since they have fewer fibre ends poking out of the fabric’s surface, they’re also softer against your skin (see diagram).
- These beauties don’t fray, pill, fade or wrinkle as much as shorter fibres.
- A match for: those who love the crème de la crème.
- Try our Aria Bath Collection
- Woven with long loops.
- The benefits? The fabric absorbs plenty of water.
- A match for: the fast-paced, busy professional who just needs to throw on a robe so they can get back to WFH.
- Try our Lusso Cotton Terry Bathrobes
How is it woven?
- Criss-cross weave with one thread over, one thread under (see diagram below)
- Thread count over 200
- The benefits? The weave makes for a strong fabric that is crisp and cool
- A match for: those who like a bit of texture, run a bit hot, and need plenty of breathing room
- Try our Vintage Softwash Bedding
Cotton peracle weave
- Woven with four threads over, one thread under (see diagram below)
- The benefits? The weave makes for a silky fabric with a glossier sheen
- A match for: those who like a silky-soft touch
- Try our Sateen bedding
How’d you go? Did you make it through our Masterclass in Cotton? Share your favourite Canningvale cotton bedsheets or towels with us over @Canningvalelove